Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Is my brain the only one that works around here?

Every year when the school year would end and summer would finally come the hatlady could be heard saying "Is my brain the only one that works around here?" She says it was like we would come home from the last day of school and shut off our common sense, shut off the practical side of our brains. I never wanted to hear myself say that or think that, because that would mean that I was becoming more like her, becoming the MOM.

I hear myself say it, in the same exasperated tone that she did. I hear myself think that as I end up doing whatever the task is. And what gets me about that phrase is that I'm not saying it to Goosey, I'm saying it to Mr. Not Hideous. When did this become the standard of our relationship?

I love him with everything I have, he is my partner in everything, but I wish my brain wasn't the only one that worked sometimes.

1 comment:

Millennium Housewife said...

We are destined I fear to turn into our parents, but hopefully as we do we will develop the same amnesia that they have and not care a bit. I am so looking forward to wearing slippers on the bus....