Thursday, October 15, 2009

My room of requirement and Mr. Shel Silverstein

Josie over at Sleep is for the Weak has started her own writing workshop. I love these, because it makes me write about things I probably wouldn't otherwise, or write them with a different twist.



Prompt #3:

If I had a room just for me in my house where time would stop upon entering it, well, that could be dangerous. I imagine it would be like the room of requirement from Harry Potter.

I would have a library filled with all the books that I've ever meant to read, and it would come up with suggestions for me based on what I like. It wouldn't come with a stuffy librarian telling me that I couldn't eat or make noise, but instead the librarian would just know what I wanted to read and make me snacks.


I would have a dance studio. A big dance studio. Not just a studio, but also it would have dance classes for me to choose from. If I wanted to take my favorite class, well, I'd just have to think 'Intermediate modern, please.' and the studio would fill with other students, the teacher, and live music. Or, maybe, 'afro modern' and Roxanne and students would be awaiting me.

There of course there would be the nap room. Comfy bed with just the right amount of pillows, and cats who cuddle but do not demand attention.

A room full of yarn and knitting needles, so that I would always have just the right amount of supplies to make whatever project I felt like. And I could just go in there and feel all the yarn, if you're a knitter I think you'll understand.


I could get lost for days in my room or requirement. Maybe it's a good thing I don't really have one.

Prompt #5:

How Not to Have to Dry the Dishes
by Shel Silverstein



If you have to dry the dishes
(Such an awful, boring chore)
If you have to dry the dishes
('Stead of going to the store)
If you have to dry the dishes
And you drop one on the floor--
Maybe they won't let you
Dry the dishes anymore.

I know this prompt was supposed to be making up my own cleaning haiku, but I feel that Mr. Silverstein perfectly describes how I feel about doing the dishes in general. (and yes, I know that this is not a haiku.)

2 comments:

Josie @Sleep is for the Weak said...

Naps? Knitting? Snacks?! This sounds like a fabulous room!

In my 'old' life I was a children's librarian and always used to get told off by my boss for letting the kids eat snacks, and put there feet on the chairs and make dens on the floor. One day, when I am rich, I am going to build my own children's library and rule breaking will be obligitory :)

Thanks so much for taking part xx

P.S. And the poem is perfect!

Kelly said...

I love Shel Silverstein's poetry. I have a book that I read to my baby out of, more for my benefit at this age but that is the fun of it all!

I love the idea of a librarian who makes snacks, good addition!