Thursday, October 15, 2009

One year on Saturday

The Goosey-girl turns one on Saturday. I'm excited.

Now I think most mom's are excited about the birthday party. You know, the one where there is a theme and some kind of cartoon shaped cake. Like cookie monster, Dora the explorer or Thomas the train. The party where every family member has been sent invites weeks in advance with a card to send back the RSVP. The party where weeks or maybe months have been spent planning, decorating, and worrying about how it will go. But not me.

I don't understand those birthday parties. Why all the fuss? No matter how many photographs you take the child won't remember it. I know turning one is a big deal, but for me, not big enough to spend that much money on it. I would much rather have the big party at five or ten.

Goosey almost wasn't going to have the big party, and honestly if it had been up to me, she wouldn't have. Maybe we would have done something special, but not THE party. But we are having THE party. Mr. NH's mother, Shopping Queen, is hosting, and taking care of ALL the details. I only need to make sure the guest of honor gets there, and that excites me.

I have no idea what the party will be like, I'm sure there will be cake. I just have no idea if it will be in a special shape or if the party even has a theme. I don't know if there would be any relevant theme other than cats that Goosey would get excited about. She doesn't watch TV and wouldn't have any idea what was going on if Dora suddenly appeared on her cake. Goosey would just get excited for the frosting.

So what is getting me all excited for her turning one? The car seat. Yes, that's right, the car seat. Goosey turning one marks the much anticipated event of being able to turn her car seat around so that it is front facing! This may not seem like much, but, for the girl who doesn't like to drive more than one hour in the car, I'm hoping it will lengthen her tolerance for car trips. Hopefully, it means that driving the five hours to the Storysmith's for Thanksgiving will be easier; I don't want to have to leave at 4am again.

So, here's to the Goosey-girl turning one, and her soon-to-be front facing car seat!

1 comment:

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I would only get excited for the frosting, too.

Happy birthday to little Goosey!

Love you. Have fun at the party.

SB